What's up with the 'Rebel' moniker/nickname/screen name?


I do get questions every now and then from friends and colleagues alike. Why 'rebel'? Why does everything has got to do with being rebellious? Why would you rebel with so many causes? Who made you so rebellious in the first place that you've decided to adopt the rebel nickname? The list goes on. Well, partly inspired by my fellow blogger Joshua's entry, where he pursued to explain his reasons for naming his blog as it is now, I find it fitting now to do the same, as too many inquiries (and speculations!) have been floating around concerning my blog's choice of name.

Firstly, as far as the name goes, this blog's name is kind of a nod to my wife's e-mail address (which also has a hint of James Dean in it!) so I thought of doing the same to honour the great actor who also acted in a movie called Rebel With A Cause. Secondly, as far as attitude/persona goes, yes....it does reflect my real life perceptions toward certain things that seem to have bugged me along the way in life. Heheh....

Seriously, I am a firm believer of doing things my way and I often avoid being a 'yes-man' simply because I am somehow obliged to follow the masses....or simply because everybody else is doing it. Having said that, I was never a person who would strive unnecessarily to be in certain people's favourite persons list. Heck, if some people can't accept me for what I am, then why should I bother changing their rigid views on me. Heh. Some even speculated that my choice of screen name actually reflected my anti-establishment political views........this is of course a load of bullc***. Hahaha.......mostly it's just about the retaliation towards certain group of people that I've encountered around me.... :p
Coincidently, my choice of moniker is also in tandem with my interest towards the Star Wars universe i.e. rebelscum, rebel alliance, rebel fleet etc. So that's actually not a bad thing after all! I even started my collection of toys because of Star Wars...so I guess by adopting the 'rebel' name, I'd sort of giving ol' George a nod for kick-starting (again) my life-long passion to collect (and hopefully this 2nd time around I'll take extra care of 'em!) action-figures and all sorts of other collector items/movie memorabilias.


Lastly, I think that I've been somehow influenced by David Bowie's song, 'Rebel Rebel' quite a bit. I'm a bit of a guitar player myself and the jangling riffs of the song seem to be embedded in my head ever since I started listening to it years ago. Dang, the guitar hook is infectious and I'm already humming to it as I type this! Hahah.......

Well, that's it from me. I hope that this entry will more or less shade some light over the raging curiosities of some of you who's been wanting to know the reason behind my blog's choice of name.

Comments

darthmental said…
aa.. now that's why, hehe.