Transformers Generations Legends Class Autobot Powerglide

Legends Class Powerglide

Whaddup peeps? I’m gonna spend some time today to talk about something which I seldom talk about these days as opposed to the customary Star Wars or Marvel Legends-related stuff of late. One of my favorite pastime is to dig through discount bins at the toy department in retail outlets (or ‘el cheapo bin’ as my 8-year old kid like to say it because he says his daddy likes ‘cheap but cool’ stuff…hahah, sue me) for hidden treasures and fantastic toys of yore that had somehow escaped the hawk-eyes of hungry collectors.

Talking about Hasbro’s/Takara Tomy’s Transformers action figures, I am usually partial to the Voyager/Deluxe scale and I don’t find myself intrigued that much with scales other than the two. I’ve only just recently ventured into the Masterpiece line (probably about a year or so I think) so I think I have progressed into the bigger sized TFs rather than scaling down. So what I’m gonna say next is probably a shocker to you readers and me alike.
.
.
.
.
I just bought myself a ‘Legend-class’ Transformers action figure. The Transformers Generations Powerglide figure.
.
.
.
.
Yeap, that’s right. Legend class figures are those small TFs you see annoyingly warming the pegs everywhere (*cough*….Dark of The Moon Cyberverse figures…..*cough*).  When I say annoying it means that Hasbro Malaysia will usually let these unwanted pile of Legend-class figures until they are destined to be chucked inside some discount bin. However, the ‘Generations’ Legend figures tend disappear faster than the less popular DoTM Cyberverse Legends for very obvious reasons. One’s a faithful reproduction of the all-time favorite G1 cartoon series and the other’s from the very controversial movies by a certain Michael Bay.

I usually steer clear from even touching the Cyberverse figures because they don’t mean as much to my collection of mostly G1 characters and designs. Heck, there was even an instance where they were going on clearance (I think it was RM5 per pop or about a buck and a quarter American dollar each) back during a warehouse sale but even then I wasn’t even intrigued to pick them up.

Two things. Firstly, Legends scale is way smaller than the Deluxe/Voyager scale. My OCD-ness will never allow me to pick any Legends up and mix them with my preferred scales. Secondly, I can never bring myself to buy a small TF figure with such a premium asking price. They’re about RM50 each here in Malaysia at their full retail price (or USD12.50) when it’s only 8 or 9 bucks in the states.

Okay, so it’s the price that really bothered me the most. I terribly want Powerglide (yes, even at this Legends scale) for my G1 shelf. I missed out on the Voyager scale versions many years ago although that one has a less-than-impressive sculpt and design. But hey, it’s Powerglide we’re talking about and there ain’t seem to be enough of him around for us collectors. Screen-accurate ones I mean. So when I saw this one sitting pretty in the discount bin all by himself in a sea of other peg warmers (i.e. Rodimus and the likes) I knew it is time to finally snag him. If you’re wondering, I got him for a mere 6 American dollars. I don’t how cheap this would be for you in the States but in Malaysia a Transformers toy could only get oh-so low. I have been looking for him extensively but somehow I didn’t find him in the open. Ebay prices were so ridiculous that I was ready to go without him in my collection. Lady luck seemed to be smiling on me today.


Right.

Let’s get on with the figure.

Legends Class Powerglide

Legends Class Powerglide

The packaging -  I kinda like the way Hasbro’s blister card packaging style with the character art at the top of the card and all. The blister/thermoformed plastic pack works really well here since the figure’s kinda light anyway for it to drop off from the card. Anyway, the packaging on mine was full of tape, presumably the blister plastic was starting to fall off from the card. Well, the line did come out way back in 2014, so the glue must have been wearing out after two years. Nothing that a good ‘ol X-acto knife can’t handle!

Let’s see him in his ‘bot mode!


Legends Class Powerglide

Legends Class Powerglide

Legends Class Powerglide

He looks awesome and seems to be an almost accurate reproduction of his classic 80s look from the G1 cartoon series. I love everything about him, that face sculpt especially. His design is top-class except for the bulk in his legs….*ugh*….but I believe Hasbro/Takara Tomy will work to correct/reduce the bulk in the near future should they ever decide to revisit Powerglide (and at a bigger scale I hope!).


Legends Class Powerglide

Legends Class Powerglide

Legends Class Powerglide

This aircraft is very faithful to the A-10 Warthog aircraft design! It’s THE design that inspired both the Cobra Rattler from GI Joe and Powerglide here! How cool is that? Talk about throwback to the 80s.


Legends Class Powerglide

Legends Class Powerglide

Legends Class Powerglide

Legends Class Powerglide

For most G1 fans, when you talk about Powerglide, you’d probably be reminded of ‘The girl who loved Powerglide’ episode, because this is one awesome homage to that character we know and love.



Scale wise?

I can’t help it but scale issues will always bug me in the Transformers action figures collecting environment. Sure the Legends scale is smaller than the Voyager/Deluxe scale but judging from pictures from the G1 cartoon, Powerglide does not look that much bigger than the humans after all. So I guess the Legends scale works for Powerglide here.

But hey, it’s the TF universe after all….and the mighty Allsparks controlled the sizes of them ‘bots at will! So who’s to say the scales are all wrong eh?



The Rebel’s verdict:

It’s a tad frustrating, since I think this figure could have been up-scaled to work as a Deluxe or Voager with very little tweaking. Nonetheless, if you look at Powerglide here as a stand-alone figure, this little guy simply can’t be beaten and seemed to be the best G1 Powerglide ever produced by Hasbro. Personally, I think it is ironic that Hasbro is seen to be focusing some of their design work into the Legends Class scale rather than the Voyager/Deluxe scale. One can only hope.

Comments