Godzilla: King of the Monsters!


Finally caught the new Godzilla: King of the Monsters (GKOTM) flick the other day with the fam. We thought the cinema was gonna be bare as a TRU Star Wars aisle on the morning after Force Friday but we were so wrong. It was a weekday and the cinema hall we were in were three-quarter full. Wasn't the movie released way back in early May '19 here in Malaysia? Guess we weren't the only late comers to the Godzilla party this time around!

Right, I digress.

The thing that really got me annoyed is that many people were influenced by the early screening reviews. Many gave the movie bad reviews, some even went as far as calling it boring and having a 'flat story line'. What the heck is a 'flat story line'?! Could somebody enlighten me please? Do yourself a favor and watch the movie yourself and then you decide. It ain't that bad at all.

So, what's good about the GKOTM film?

First of all, it's a gosh darn monster movie. 'Kaiju' fest if you will. By far this is the best kaiju galore film we've seen in the history of .....err... kaiju movies. Please don't get me started on the Pacific Rim movies. Those were great movies but they were always gonna be Gundam/Godzilla rip-offs to me. Name me one monster/kaiju movie that can supersede the coolness of seeing Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan & Godzilla all at once in one movie. Nay? Yup. You get my point.

Secondly, the superb visual we've got from that two hour sitting.  I think I barely blinked throughout the movie save for some non-monster scenes and that's telling you something. What's not to love about huge monsters bashing each other out on the big screen? I think the director (it wasn't Gareth Edwards I think) did a superb job of limiting the human interactions to a minimum and more focus were given to the monsters. Kudos!

Anyhoo, it you still haven't watched the film, you might wanna skip the next part because I'm gonna spill the beans on the post-credit scene...
.
.
.
.
Seriously, turn away now if you don't want any spoilers....
.
.
.
.
Ok, consider yourselves warned....
.
.
.
.
The post-credit scene was disappointing to say the least. No hints were dropped to prepare us for that mega-showdown in the upcoming Kong vs Godzilla movie scheduled for release next year. I personally felt that the post-credit scene was unnecessary. Bad guys discovering a severed ghidorah head....I sense a resurrection coming our way in the next movie.

If I had it my way, I'd include these guys (or at least one of 'em) in the next Godzilla franchise film....





And if you think they look way too corny to be on the big screen, then perhaps you should take a look at how they/he look(s) like currently (as portrayed in current comics/action figure form)...ripped  and ready to handle those pesky Legendary monsters!


Whatever....till next time.

Comments