Hasbro's Black Series looking pretty good these days


I've been out of the active action figure collecting front for some time now but I gotta admit I do get some itch to pick certain figures up every now and then. I'm talking specifically about Hasbro's Star Wars The Black Series today and the leaps and bounds the line has gone through since the first wave was released many years ago.

I finally caved in and got myself a figure which I had been extensively reading about over the weekend.

The figure in question is the all-new 2019 Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight figure that's released as a Walmart exclusive right now. I'm not too happy about key characters being released as a Walmart/Walgreens/Target exclusive because I don't have either in my country. Thank God for the many specialty stores that bring these exclusives in droves these days.

When I say '2019' I simply meant that Hasbro has already given us something similar or so I thought. I never really wanted another Return of the Jedi Luke because I thought I was already content with the ROTJ Final Duel Luke from one of the earlier wave. Boy was I wrong.

This Luke completely blows not only the earlier Black Series ROTJ Luke but even the likes of SHF Figuart ROTJ Luke Skywalker away. Yes, the headsculpt is THAT good. It's like having a mini 1983 Mark Hamill in your collection!

Yes I am totally thrilled by this new face scanning technique employed by Hasbro because it brings the gap between mass market action figures with the likes of SHF Figuart or MAFEX closer. But there is a flipside to all of this. My wallet's not gonna be too happy if Hasbro decides to re-release all of the non-helmeted characters under the Star Wars Black Series banner again.

What do you guys think?

Comments