Made some 1/12 stuff from scratch

There comes many a time in a man's life when he needs to unwind from the long list of unnecessary stress that hits him every now and then. For yours truly, that relief comes in the form of diorama building or in today's case, diorama accessories. I made these over the past couple of weeks and I think they came out pretty ok to my amazement.

These are in 1/12 scale or in Layman's terms, these are perfect for your six-inch Marvel Legends or DC Direct figures. I may make them in other scales if there are demands for them. Yup, I'm selling these but for now only to my Malaysian counterparts. 


1. Wooden crates

Always wanted to do this for the longest time but previously couldn't bring myself to start building due to the tedious process involved. I've always though that real wood was the best way to build these but I was wrong. Thin foams seem to be the perfect choice to build a wooden crate. It aint easy but the results are worth it. I've never attempted any wooden crates before, so these to me, are good enough to my liking.



2. Wired Fence

Another one taken from my 'must-build' list is the wired fence. Fusing wooden art sticks, chicken mesh and some silver paint together is no joke. I really had to properly measure right down to the last milimeter to ensure that the structure is balance. Imagine the amount of superglue that ended on my fingers instead of the structure itself. But I like how it turned out. I already have an order for a unit of this so I better get busy to build another one.



3. Garbage dump

This is actually version 2.0 because my version 1.0 looks so ridiculously amateurish that I had it thrown away right after I completed this. Thanks to countless hours of studying great diorama makers and their creations, I managed to outdo myself and came up with this. I just have to figure out how to make better lid for the dumpster but for now this'll do.



4. USPS Mailbox

This one's a pretty tough build but I persevered and completed it before I got bored of it. Makes sense? I think it's a tad too big but it's good enough to stand in the background of my action figure shots so yeah.



5. Subway-esque trash bin

Ok, admittedly this is not an accurate representation of the trash bins youse New Yorkers find in your subway stations but I did my best here and made a somewhat acceptable version of it. I hope. Again, if it looks good enough to be in my action figure photography then I'm all for it. The bin is quite easy to build paint but those trash you see on it i.e. the cigarette box, burger box, used Metro card etc. (the bin's supposedly full of it's overflowing to the bream) is a pain to make, but totally worth it.



6. Newspaper vending machine

This is also one of the diorama accessory that I really wanted to attempt because I was so influenced by one of the great diorama artist I follow on Instagram who uses discarded household material and your normal every day art supplies to make astounding diorama pieces. I think this prototype newspaper vending machine can be further improved but for a first try I'm satisfied on how it turned out.



7. Street trash bin

Like the subway-ish trash bin, this one's a relatively easy build but the trash within took a considerable amount of time to create. I love how this turned out because I literally used discarded materials from the recycle box at home to construct the bin.


So what do you guys think? For my fellow Malaysians, these are up for orders. Hit me up with a personal message and we'll work out the details.

Thanks for looking.

Comments