Netflix's Masters of the Universe: Revelation part 1


 

Kevin Smith did not disappoint I tell ya. If you don't want any spoiler of sorts, do turn away now. Consider yourself warned.

.

.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation (MOTUR) is a continuation of the Filmation TV series that we last saw in 1985. If you're expecting the same popcorn silly fun fight between the good guys and the evil villains then you're in for a surprise. Major surprise.

It takes courage to kill off the main protagonist (and a fan-favorite character), but doing it TWICE in the same season = BALLS!

Clearly the main focus is no longer on Adam/He-Man this time around as Kevin Smith chose to put the spotlight on Teela. I do however have a problem on the way Sarah Michelle Gellar handle the voice over duties. She doesn't sound natural enough to convince me that she's really into the character. I imagine her reading monotonously through her lines even though in the Afterparty Netflix show Gellar did mention that she 'acted out' Teela's part as she voiced the character. 

I loved how Smith made Tri-Klops into some techno-cult leader and no longer believing magic. For a moment too I was relishing the prospect of Evil-Lyn and Beastman permanently joining the good guys as they seek to restore magical powers in Eternia.

Scare-Glow has been given justice too as he had ample screen time since he was robbed of his on-screen appearance in the mid-80s due to the launch of She-Ra at the time. Ironic to see him scaring the likes of Evil-Lyn and Beastman as well since he was pretty much on Skeletor's team back in the day.

I love how Mark Hamill handled Skeletor's voice acting. I swore that I could hear The Joker instead of ol' Bonehead at times. I heard that Mark was always Kevin Smith's choice to voice the antagonist.

How about The Sorceress' plea for Teela and Evil-Lyn to work together to find/forge the Power Sword? Pretty shocking too. Perhaps what shocked me most was how King Randor, the mild mannered king we knew from the Filmation series lost it when he knew about He-Man's/Adam's death. 

Now when are we getting Part 2 again?


Comments