Oh man....not Meatloaf!


Somehow we were just waiting to see when exactly 2022 was gonna start taking the first legend away from us. That unfortunate spot sadly goes to rocker Meatloaf who apparently succumbed to Covid-19 a few days ago. For the longest time I've always thought that the young Meatloaf was an amalgamation of Jack Black and Chris Farley.

I enjoyed the man's music and somewhat his sporadic movie career. I particularly remember his iconic role in the 51st State movie (which was called Formula 51 in the UK for some reason) with Samuel L. Jackson and Robert Carlyle.


What a death scene by Meatloaf in 51st State!

Coming back to his music, I have to admit that while the man released a slew of albums right from his debut in '77 up to recent years, I've only religiously listened to Bat Out of Hell II and Welcome to the Neighborhood albums. I don't know if that actually qualifies me as a fan of the artist or rather just someone who fancied the selected albums.

My Bat Out of Hell II cassette would have looked something like this....

Thanks random internet picture!

This album, later also the 'Neighborhood album, literally spun hundreds of times in its entirety in my then SONY walkman in the 90s. The music was rather operatic than pure hard rock but I loved it. And those Bat album covers were just sublime. I remember my long study nights being accompanied by the man's music. Thanks Meatloaf!





 

Comments