Foo Fighters' Studio 666


I meant to write about this movie as soon as I finished watching it last week but somehow I manage to procrastinate and find myself only talking about it a week later. I had countless discussions about the movie with my friends and bandmates and we can all agree that it was a great horror flick a la 70s/80s gore fest movies. 

Then the news came......Taylor Hawkins was gone. Ironic because I was really getting back into the Foo Fighters after some months away from spinning their tracks on Spotify. Last year my band was playing covers from mostly the Foo Fighters and it dwindled down towards the end of the year. As my interest to listening stuff from the band peaked again after watching Studio 666, the band lost a key member. This was the guy who really boosted the Foo Fighters and proved again and again that he was a worthy successor to Dave Grohl's drumming throne.

We all miss Taylor already and with no clear indication of what the future holds for Dave's ensemble, we all can just hold our breaths and hope for the best. For now, let's just get into Studio 666 and hear what my afterthoughts are on the film.
.
.
.
From the onset we knew that we were going to see some sort of spoof of the gore fest movies of yesteryear and that was exactly what we got from Studio 666. I'm used to all the splattering blood and stuff like that but I was really looking forward to see how the boys would act in front of the camera. I know Dave has a knack to role play quite a bit for some of the Foo's music videos but what about the rest of the guys?

They were all okay in their own rights although there were a few awkward moments from some of the camera-shy Foo members. My absolute favorite would be Pat Smear who surprisingly looked natural acting in the film. He was the funniest of them all too apart from Dave Grohl. I had the biggest laugh when he called the already possessed Dave Grohl a d**k when his bag of Doritos was stepped upon.


Yeah, this funny man right here...
.
.

And how about that cameo from Lionel Ritchie? Hilarious!


It's my f******g song Dave!
.
.

There were other notable cameos too but I'm not going to go through them here. All I can say is that they all played their part brilliantly and it added up to the storytelling of Studio 666. 

Plot wise, I think the movie itself is pretty predictable with the trailers already showing what was about to go down in the movie. I guess it's a new standard these days when trailers are already showing you what to expect in the movie. Heck, we'd even got to see how some of the band members died in the trailers!

I personally thought that the ending deserved to be a bit better and it was kind of an anti-climax when the movie ended the way it did. TruthfulIy, was hoping to see cameos from the boys of Tenacious D! It would have been explosive if they did appear at the very end of the movie with both Jables and KG forming a new band with the possessed Dave Grohl.

I'm a huge fan of the Foo Fighters but I don't think I'd be catching this movie again anytime soon. Perhaps when the blu-ray is out later in the year.


Comments