Freebie, junk buying and Sean William Scott

So here's some recap for the week. Pretty good stuff came my way this week, all thanks to my better half and my son who constantly keep up with the nonsense of yours truly.

.

.

My son and I picked up a LEGO freebie this week. Seems that all you gots to do was pose next to a giant LEGO Ferrari display and post it on Instagram. We were the first in line. We'd like to think that no one really paid attention to the fine prints on the event poster.


Easy peasy.....freebie redeemed!
.
.

On the D&D front, my son found a way to create dragon miniatures for the game by purchasing cheap dragons from the dollar store. Ok wait, if calculated to the US Dollar, these would be 50 cents each. So to be technically correct, he got them dragons from the 'half-dollar store'.

So far he's only made it up to the green dragon and I must say it does look good when repainted. This will go perfectly with the Pepsi cap figures he customized a week ago.

Dungeons and dragons for the win!

.
.

Can't believe my eyes this week when I finally feast my eyes on the visual awesomeness of.....*drumroll*.....

"Chicken and waffles"


I've always wanted to try the chicken and sugar coated waffles in the same dish. Apparently some local hipster restaurant introduced this dish in their menu. This has always been on my want list since I watched that second Deuce Bigalow movie. Black people all over the world will be forever grateful to the Dutch for that!



Deuce Bigalow : You know the Dutch started the slave trade. T.J. Hicks : THOSE M****F*****S! 
.
.
.
This week I finally arrived at a promised land, thanks to both my better half and my son who put up with the rather long journey on a hot afternoon. I've always been a fan of vintage comics, especially comics from the 80s/90s because it stirs up so much nostalgia in me. So imagine a comic store that brings in tons of said materials on the cheap.

I have to imagine no more because this store exists! I have only been reading about the place for the longest time but never got around to actually visiting it until this one fateful afternoon....

...and it's bee-yoo-tee-ful!


I've known the owner from his days of selling vintage comics at the weekly flea market in town but it must've been ages ago since I last saw him. Coincidently this was also his last day manning the store as he had sold off his shares to his partners but nevertheless we had a healthy conversation about vintage comics and such.


Some images of individuals blurred out since the patrons didn't want their images to appear on any social media or blogging platform, but look at those crazy selection next to them! 


You just don't know where to start. They are somewhat organized but it may take you some time to decide....on what titles you want to go for first! My initial thought was to immediately storm to the Image section to recover back the ones I've sold off in the mid 90s when I completely lost my interest on comic books (unwise decision indeed!), but I found myself spending more time with my son at the Marvel and DC section.

This store has a vintage toy aisle too but nothing much caught my attention since all they had for the moment was selected early Toybiz Marvel Legends, which I already have. Totally forgot to snap a picture of that section.



Of course we left with some goodies. To quote my better half, ' You better make the long trip worth it!" LOL.

My son seems to have a liking for 80s DC stuff so that Blue Devil comic was a natural selection for him over a couple of modern JLA comics he earlier had in his hands. I, on the other hand, inevitably took home a classic Ghost Rider and a Punisher War Journal comic.

The icing on the cake for me was finding a bunch of loose retro Marvel trading cards for peanuts. I came home with a bunch from Series 4 because they had a lot that I wanted. I was already out of the Marvel trading card business by Series 3 so technically I've never seen these back in the day. I miss the days of trading cards being just trading cards which you happily swap your extras with your friends, and not the fighting/versus kind.

.
.

Fresh from that visit to the promised land, I came home with a resolution to spring clean my collection of single issue comics. I've amassed quite a bit since the late 80s but I've also sold off a sizeable chunk of my collection back in the 90s. That didn't sound any better because I still have a good 700-800 single issues with me. Imagine if I didn't make that leap to mostly collecting trade paperbacks somewhere in the mid 2000s, I'd probably find myself with more single issues than I can imagine.


That's a whole lotsa comic+plastic+board but I have to start somewhere, right?
.
.
I was about half-way through when I stumbled across my mint 12-issue Alex Ross' Justice comics. Took them out of their plastic and boards for a re-read! I understand that their value is on the high these days so I'm glad I was still collecting single issues back in the early 2000s.

.
.
Also, after that re-read of Justice, I flipped through the pages of one of my favorite Toyfare issue, the one with the Justice action figures from DC Direct. This almost made me take out my collection of Justice action figures from storage. Almost.


.
.
Can't remember when but this piece of promo card slipped out from one of the comic book during my spring cleaning. It's actually an advertisement for the (then) upcoming 14-issue Maximum Carnage comic run in 1993. Good to see this card still in mint condition after almost 30 years like most of my earlier comic books. Yeah, I'm OCD like that...heh.


Back in the day they used 'trading cards' to promote upcoming series/saga and the single comics you need to get for you to understand the whole story arc via a checklist like so....

.
.

The fam and I, with our former Dungeon Master made a quick trip to a table top store nearby our place in hope of finding D&D related stuff to no avail. They had a few, mostly guide books, but our search for D&D miniatures fell short again.


.
.

I'll end today's post by sharing a picture of a dude which immediately caught my attention as Sean William Scott's doppelganger during lunch the other day. I seem to be having a good run on finding celebrity look a likes these day. 

Whoever you are sir...I say, ca-caw ca-caw and tookie-tookie!

Comments