Weekend movie night, junk buying, action figures and other thoughts

Last weekend started out with me and the fam catching an almost midnight show of The Batman on Friday night, as per my last post. At the point of writing this, I still see the many negatives blurted out by disgruntled fans all over social media. Whatever man, me and the fam, we loved it and a second cinema trip to catch the film is already on the cards for us real soon. 

Again, I think Reeves' Batman is even grittier than Chris Nolan's version but it still retained the comic feel unlike Nolan's take. You opinion may vary and I can understand that. With that being said, why are you still here reading this if you haven't seen the movie already by now?

.
.
On Saturday, the fam and I also visited a vintage toy store which we last visited a couple of years back, before the pandemic started. Much to our dismay, the store no longer carry vintage toys like they used to two years ago and the vintage toy bins that once graced the main display area were now gone and replaced by modern toy displays. What a bummer.

Then suddenly my better half found a nook where the store owner stashed random knick-knacks for a mere quarter dollar each.

My son and I immediately went to work and rummaged through the randomness of junk piled on top of each other. We ended up with these.......


Little man took several Planet of the Apes PEPSI bottle cap for his D&D custom project...


...while yours truly came home with (what else) these Star Wars PEPSI bottle caps. For a quarter bucks each these were just calling us to take them home with us. I'm pretty sure I have a few of these Star Wars bottle caps somewhere at home too. We were not really thinking much at a quarter each anyway.
.
.



A stroll at a local mall also lead us to a cool display of promo items for the new Bat flick. There were a boat load of Batman stuff on display including a life-sized Batman but I was immediately drawn to a replica of the spray painted notes made by Bruce Wayne in the movie (oops, is this a spoiler?). I couldn't get that person who manned the booth to step away from the word 'Mitchell' so this was the best shot I could get. Can I get this diagram to be spray painted, let's say...on my porch?
.
.


Every now and then in my life as an action figure collector, I'd arrive at a juncture where I'd begin questioning my need to maintain a particular action figure line in my collection. This time around it's my Star Wars The Black Series collection. Now, while I had been on board since day one, I somewhat pulled the handbrake a couple of years ago due a number of unfortunate reasons (which I'm not really keen to dive into right now) but suffice to say they had dampened my drive to continue my 6" Star Wars collection. I lost count on how many I have up to the point when I completely stopped collecting, although I might have slipped in a figure or two since the handbrake, but them TBS figures do fill up a good container's worth, as pictured above. Still thinking about this. On one hand I'm rather into the Vintage Collection more than the TBS these days but on the other hand there are a few of the TBS that really hit the mark. Whatever it is, if I decide to later, these have to go in bulk as I'm not keen to separate and sell them individually.
.
.

On the action figure front, last week was a success in terms of Marvel Legends acquisitions for yours truly. Those who know me would be aware that these days I sell my old toys online to fund my future purchases. But every once in a while I get lucky and find other collectors who were more than willing to trade whatever they want from my list of sale items for their sale items. 

I can't believe me luck last week when I successfully traded my old ML Toybiz action figures for a couple of Marvel Legends which were on my radar for quite some time.

So here are couple of mail calls this week!


I finally have the 80 Years Marvel Stan 'the Man' Lee! Late to the game but he's finally joined the ranks of my ML collection. The box is a bit dented but this was never an issue for me because I'm not a box collector. The seller was more than happy to trade Stan for something that I just listed for sale, so much so he immediately sent this to the courier within the hour! I've been holding out for Stan here, hoping to find a rock bottom price for him, but he's been disappearing more and more from online stores already these days so I was thinking there ain't a better time to get him and strike him off my wish list.



Next on the trade business, I got myself the new Walmart Classic Dr Strange for the price of two Toybiz figures (no, one of them is NOT Toybiz's Dr Strange...schucks!). I've been earmarking this one since it arrived on my shores a month ago but I opted to wait until the ridiculous 'exclusive' price drops down a bit. Looks like I'd never have the chance to buy him since I got him on the trade..heh! Again, this seller (as was with the Stan Lee seller) was ecstatic to trade Stephen Strange with the older Toybiz MLs I listed mere hours before.

So technically no real geek purchases this week....just a couple of trades with some of the most awesome collectors in the community. Oh happy days!

.
.


Another random moment during the weekend was when my fam and I spotted this Cleveland Brown from Family Guy real life look-alike during lunch at a nearby mall. We were initially disappointed that he didn't have a 'stache when he pulled down his face mask, but we were giggling away anyway while we did our best impressions of Cleveland's voice throughout lunch. So thank you sir, whoever you are!
.
.


On another note, my son has been really picking up the pace in his quest to become a Dungeon Master, learning his trade from a veteran Dungeon Master from way back when yours truly first played it in the late 80s/early 90s. We already had 2 sessions this past week with several other players (what do you get when you mix a Fighter, a Rogue, an Elf Mage and a chaotic evil Wizard together on one table?) and the little man seems to have a natural flair with his storytelling and plot twists. So proud of the guy.

So how's your weekend?

Comments