Star Wars 6" The Black Series #1 Luke Skywalker...

Pilot Luke Skywalker

As I wait for Series 2 of the 6" Star Wars The Black Series ("TBS") line, I felt that there is an urgent need to complete my review on the first four figures of Series 1. Usually I don't really give a hoot about the timing of my reviews, heck I still haven't done the reviews on some of the MOTU Classic figures from 2012 (and some as far as 2011.....guilty!!!)! But in this instance, I think I'd have to finish with my opinion on the four before the Series 2 figures arrive real soon. Let's start with figure #1, Tatooine farm boy-turned-Rebellion hero pilot....Luke Skywalker!

Read more....
The packaging

I love any 'collector friendly' packaging and the 6" TBS line gives us just that. Getting him out of the window box was a breeze but there were plastic rubber bands to irritate you. Minor nitpick really. Everything is clearly displayed for you to scrutinize through the plastic window. You might wanna check for warped weapons etc while you're at it. I didn't get my Series 1 through retail so I had the luxury to properly go over each and every one of the figures for any anomalies i.e. warped weapons, sloppy paint jobs etc over at my toy-pusher's store. They were priced cheaper than what my TRUs are charging them at the moment, so I think I ain't never gonna get these through retail as long as them specialty stores keep on bringing these 6" TBS figures.

#01: Luke Skywalker

Instead of going for the actual picture of the character/actor or the action figure itself, Hasbro opted to give us a drawn portrait at the top right corner of the front packaging, similar to the one adopted for the 3.75" TBS line. I'm cool with this.
 
#01: Luke Skywalker

At the back of packaging, you'd find a brief bio on the scene-specific character and a memorable quote just before Luke boards his X-Wing for the assault on the 1st Death Star in Episode IV. The actual screen shot from the film is utilised this time albeit a black and white film negative style.
 
#01: Luke Skywalker

Right, on with the figure
 
Luke comes with a fair amount of accessories. He comes with his pilot helmet, his blaster, his lightsaber hilt & the removeable blue saber itself.
 
Pilot Luke Skywalker

The head sculpt is a decent representation of Mark Hamill in '77. I tend not to be overly critical of things as I am thankful that we finally get these sweet 6" Star Wars figures for our collection after years of speculations but I can vouch the statements made by many others when I say that I've seen better head sculpts on previous 3.75" VOTC Luke figures.  
 
Pilot Luke Skywalker

I guess this head sculpt look 'youthful' enough to pass as the Episode IV Tatooine farm boy. I hope Hasbro will give us a slightly mature look aka new head sculpt for the upcoming Luke Skywalker figures in future series. It won't be enough if they chose to just add some stubble or worse of it all, draw some lines over his face to make him look 'older'. That would be disastrous.
 
Pilot Luke Skywalker

His uniform is very well sculpted by Hasbro. I really like his gadgets on his chest (some breathing apparatus I supposed? Man, I can't believe I still don't know this after all these years of becoming an Episode IV junkie!) and the way his harness turned out to be. Most of it all, I truly love the details on his pilot helmet. More on this later.
 
Pilot Luke Skywalker

When I first saw the proto picture of Luke many month ago, I was rather skeptical whether the pilot helmet can truly fit his head without hassle. My main concern was the fear of 'paint rub' as I put the helmet on and off. It turned out that the helmet fits in quite well onto his head and taking it off was painless too.
 
Pilot Luke Skywalker

The helmet has got to be my most favourite accessory from this action figure. All the 'decals' have been neatly applied by those folks at Hasbro's factory. I love it. I hope future pilots will also come with the same aptly-done helmets.
 
Pilot Luke Skywalker

When it comes to articulation, then these 6" TBS action figures are top notch. You name it, he's got it. Even the much needed 'swivel hips' for the much needed super articulated poses! Shame on you Mattel!
 
Pilot Luke Skywalker

Pilot Luke Skywalker

Luke is able to firmly hold his blaster pistol. A firm grip equals no fear of losing the darn blaster! It's just unfortunate that Hasbro didn't give us a holster to stow the weapon into when not in use. It's the one thing that kept me from giving this figure a perfect score (damn I sound like Michael Crawford....LOL!).
 
Pilot Luke Skywalker

Pilot Luke Skywalker

It's nice of Hasbro to have given us an Artoo to go with Luke in the same series. The thing is, that Artoo is a bit small in scale. But let's just leave that concern away for the time being. After all, this is Luke's show!
 
Luke & R2

Luke & R2

Let's look at his lightsaber.
 
Pilot Luke Skywalker

I love it that the 'saber' portion of it can be removed but I can't seem to find any pegs on it nor any holes on Luke's waist to pin it into. Another bummer after the 'holster' issue.
 
Pilot Luke Skywalker

Luke is able to hold the lightsaber firmly in either hands. Technically this scene never happened in the movie as he never ignited his lightsaber during the end part of Episode IV. I'll give you more pictures of Luke here in the upcoming 6" TBS reviews soon. He's gonna make guest appearances in those!
 
Pilot Luke Skywalker

THE REBEL'S VERDICT: This is a solid entry into the inaugural 6" line. I honestly can't think of a more suitable representation of Luke Skywalker for Series 1. Hasbro could've given us the Tatooine Luke, Bespin Luke or even ROTJ Luke but they went with this one which is way ok in my books! The 6" TBS line is looking good thus far. I just wished that I could've grabbed the SDCC exclusive Boba Fett with the carbonite block too but alas he remained just a wish list (not willing to pay ludicrous amount for those!). If you're a Star Wars action figure enthusiast, then these 6" figures are no-brainers! Stay tuned for the remaining Series 1 figures soon! 

Pilot Luke Skywalker

Comments

desmond said…
this is a very good figure with great articulation..
Combo said…
Sadly, my room can only hold enough action figures and these 6-inch Star Wars would have been great for a collection.
The Rebel said…
Des - Yes they are bro. Can't wait for Series 2 and beyond!

Combollector - Hmmm, surely u can squeeze in a few more bro! =)