MOTU Classics NA Skeletor, Rio Blast, Two-Bad & Castle Grayskull

I've not been focusing much on my MOTU Classics acquisitions these days. Maybe it’s because at the back of my mind I’ve been constantly conditioning myself that the MOTUC line is coming very near to its imminent end. What a ride it has been since 2008. That was the year when I almost didn’t get into the line. Well, I’m definitely glad I did. I would’ve kicked myself senselessly by now knowing that I’ve skipped one of the most important nostalgic toy lines (albeit re-issue versions of the originals) of my youth. The life of an 80s-themed toy collector devoid of the Masters of the Universe action figures is simply unacceptable!

I haven’t been getting the time to do full reviews like I used to. These days, I’m happy just to shoot a couple of pictures of my toys without actually posing them like they are in some ‘retail product shots’. Like a blogger buddy of mine once said, most toy bloggers are unfortunately sucked into the interactive worlds of instagram, facebook and flickr nowadays thus neglecting their blogs. While this is true (I am one of those guilty of these too!) I still feel that blogging on a real blog page evokes a very strong geekiness feeling as opposed to the other above mentioned social media platforms. But then, there’s always the ‘laziness’ factor. But let’s not get into that for now (haha).

*Laziness kicks in*...how about if we do a multiple review instead of individual MOTUC items? Sounds good to me....haha.

Right. On to the toys. I’ve really been on my best cherry-picker mode lately. Been skipping a lot of the MOTUC releases (although I’d have to pick up a bunch of the Princess of Power figures from my toy-pusher the soonest as my wallet gets extra cash injection) prioritizing those which are deemed important first. Lately, I’ve picked up the Galactic Skeletor (from the New Adventures of He-Man cartoon series) and Rio Blast (one of my most favourite characters from the 80s toy line!). But what amazed (and totally shocked) me most was my dearest wife’s choice of birthday present to me late last month.....

Lo and behold!

It’s freakin’ Castle G-R-A-Y-S-K-U-L-L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knock-knock....

I have the Powerrrr!!!!

According to her she found this MIB playset way below the market price. I think somebody must’ve wanted to clear his extra Castle Grayskull in a hurry to make way for some other important purchases so I thank my lucky stars that my wife was able to be at the right place/space-time continuum to snag this one up for me. It’s official now you know....my wife is the coolest person in the universe!

I have the Powerrrr!!!!

He-Man at Castle Grayskull

There's gotta be a backdoor to the place!

The castle has heaps of accessories and play features. I think most of us have read about these already so I won’t go into detail. All I can tell you know is that my 30-year itch has finally been relieved now that I have this baby in hand. You see, I tried to lobby me ol’ dad into buying me the original castle way back in the 80s but he couldn’t find one (or so he claimed! Haha).

I’ll probably get into snapping some pictures of this behemoth of a playset in detail sometime in the future but for now it’ll be a great background for my MOTUC figure shoots. For example, let’s take Rio Blast here for a test-photography against the Castle interior as backdrop....

Rio Blast: Heroic Transforming Gunslinger

Rio Blast: Heroic Transforming Gunslinger

Rio Blast: Heroic Transforming Gunslinger

Rio Blast: Heroic Transforming Gunslinger

Rio Blast: Heroic Transforming Gunslinger

Rio Blast was one of the must-have MOTU Classics character for me. But I don’t have much to say about him except that I had such a great time playing with his action-figure in the 80s. Unfortunately I didn’t have him in my collection hence I had to be content of playing with him whenever I visit a friend of mine who seemed to have everything from the MOTU catalogue! I love the Eternian cowboy concept and I always had the feeling that someway somehow this guy was related to the Bravestarr series. This was another dream come true for me as a collector even if he was as late as Castle Grayskull!

Evil Space Mutant Skeletor - New Adventures of He-Man

Evil Space Mutant Skeletor - New Adventures of He-Man

Evil Space Mutant Skeletor - New Adventures of He-Man

Galactic Skelly.....or NA Skelly, whichever way you want to call him, is simply a bad-ass figure in my opinion! He’s been receiving quite a barrage of flak from hard core MOTUC collectors due to his bulky appearance caused by his armour etc. Ain’t a biggie for me. It’s enough that he has such a mean head sculpt, way creepier than how he looked like in the cartoon series and that itself is a good selling point for me.

Evil Space Mutant Skeletor - New Adventures of He-Man

Evil Space Mutant Skeletor - New Adventures of He-Man

Evil Space Mutant Skeletor - New Adventures of He-Man

I actually enjoyed the early 90s cartoon series and I don’t really care what some MOTU fans are saying or have said about the show. I accept that some fans just can’t fathom He-Man in space and all but that’s ok. It’s a case of hit or miss for some some. Nobody forced you to like the concept but know that some fans actually cherished the show and it forms part of the overall MOTU lore.

Evil Space Mutant Skeletor - New Adventures of He-Man

Evil Space Mutant Skeletor - New Adventures of He-Man

Evil Space Mutant Skeletor - New Adventures of He-Man

You can’t please every single fan/collector in the world and Mattel knows this. I believe it’s better (and comforting) to know that for every hate comment they receive for NA Skelly, there’d be double or triple the number of fans actually liking the figure! At the end of the day, we should all be thankful that Mattel (Matty) actually revisited the property and gave us the Masters action figures while staying faithful to the originals back in the 80s (here’s lookin’ at you Hasbro! Where’s my M.A.S.K. Classics???!!).

Lastly we take a look at Two-Bad. This represents one of the last few baddies that I really want to complete my core evil Masters team. I’ve already missed a couple of ‘core’ MOTU Classic characters to some unforeseen circumstances over at my toy-pusher’s end so I made it a priority to get Two-Bad the moment he arrived. I was not gonna miss him at whatever cost!

Two Bad: Double-headed Evil Strategist

Two Bad: Double-headed Evil Strategist

Two Bad: Double-headed Evil Strategist


Funny how Matty seemed to be giving every each of their MOTU Classics characters their own ‘real name’ in their respective bio. Actually this time Matty didn’t do too bad (pardon the pun!) with names like Tuvar and Badra for each of the heads. Whatever. We didn't give a hoot about them 'real names' when we were small and I sure ain't heck gonna burst my brain thinking about them now. It adds colour to the newly crafted back stories that Matty had been conjuring for us since the line begun in 2008....so let's just leave it to that.

Two Bad: Double-headed Evil Strategist

Two Bad: Double-headed Evil Strategist

Two Bad: Double-headed Evil Strategist

Ok, that's it from The Rebel for now. I'll be looking into another 'classic' MOTU character next. Stay tuned.

Comments