A geek's rant: What is the anomaly in Sideshow Darth Vader's helmet?

This serves as a pre-discussion about the Dark Lord before I proceed to review him sometime over the next few days.....hopefully by the weekend. As a die-hard fan of Lucas' space opera, naturally I was head over heels about Sideshow producing Darth Vader in his 12" (or should I say..14"!!!) glory. This will definitely overshadow Medicom's version..which many has called 'baby-Vader' at this point of time! Boy, would I love to see someone doing the comparisons. Anyway, let's concentrate on today's geeky discussion......

The picture above is part of the official pictures that appeared in Sideshow's official website. Upon opening of the box, immediately discovered something not right with a 'portion' of his helmet. I was shocked and in horror because I initially thought it was my carelessness to cause it to be 'defective'. So thereafter, I quickly rummaged through the box ('hint: it's an attachment rather than any proportional mishaps on the helmet!') to find if I might have accidently dropped it somewhere. But it wasn't there.

So upon endless re-checking with movie stills from Episode IV (sample above), I further discovered that the anomaly is only 'exclusive' to Sideshow's figure! This was further confirmed by my 'toy-pusher' who said ..."That's just how Sideshow roll, man!".....means that it's exactly as pictured by Sideshow in their official website.
The burning question is, from which scene(s) was this rendition of the Dark Lord's helmet based on? I would like to know. My observation: it differs from the one which appeared in the opening scene (Tantive IV) aka blockade scene. It may be a minor thing to some, but I'd just like to clear the air. It could be a production error or something.......maybe.
Anybody can shed some light on this? Wait, before that, can anybody tell me what is the anomaly I'm currently babbling about? Those 2 pictures above have provided you with the clear answer...

Comments

darthmental said…
visor dia merah tak bro? kalu ikut scene dalam tantive IV, visor merah skit.
desmond said…
Bro, do you mean the front part of the helmet should cover the top edge of the visor? Other than this, not much different..
Armand said…
Yup I have to agree with Darthmental. Only in Episode 4 do we clearly see Vader's visor is reddish in color, whereas the other 2 its more tinted, blackish.
And I think Sideshow replicated that in comparison to Medicom's.
Razmanshah said…
bro, leh x letak side by side ngan 12" ko. nak tgk gambo tinggi die la
The Rebel said…
Thanks guys for 'submitting' your answers...hehhehe...

The thing I'm talking about is his two 'antenna-like' thing that protrudes from his helmet...aka at his chin area. If you guys look closely, it's supposed to have two silverish 'ball-bearing-like' attachments to it (one on each side!)...but guess what...only the LEFT SIDE has that 'silverish ball'...

If we compare it to Sideshow's pictures, that's how they produced it. So why did Sideshow produced it in such a way? Honestly, I thought I knocked it down ..hahaha...boy it was a relief!
The Rebel said…
Mental/Armand...yeah, his visor is RED.....nice touch by Sideshow! I was expecting to see a pair of eyeballs inside too!! Heheh, remember that scene when Vader's TIE spun out of control....u'd swear u could see David Prowse's eyeballs!!!
The Rebel said…
Razman...

By weekend ni hopefully aku boleh spend some time to shoot comparison pics dgn the rest of my Sideshow figs.....! Wait for it!! heheh...
desmond said…
Rebel, I think Sideshow purposely made that as part of the faceplate also painted with silver tone and not fully solid black colour..