Rounding up my week

A toy review still eludes me even though I made it a point to stand in my makeshift man cave from time to time....just to get the feels. Apparently staring aimlessly at your pop culture items for hours isn't enough to stir my inner toy reviewer self. So let's see what yours truly have been up to the past one week.

.

.

First up, I finally finished watching Eternals over at Disney+ after a week. I kid you not, I took that much of a time to finish a movie which I thought would immediately catch my attention given that I am a fan of the Neil Gaiman/John Romita Jr graphic novel. I struggled to finish this movie but I think the slow pacing of the movie is purely a directorial choice by director Chloe Zhao. The plot is there but I was just not truly feeling the wow factor of the story arc. I have no grouse with the choice of leadership, Gemma Chan was just a strong actress herself, so I appreciate the backseat given to Angeline Jolie. Anyway, I was more excited by the future appearance of The Black Knight and Blade (post credit scene) so I guess my 2 and a half hours were not a total lost in the end.

.
.

The King's Man was a surprise hit in my books even though there were a smorgasbord of negative reviews thrown at the film. I quite enjoy the story line and as usual Ralph Fiennes was excellent with his acting. I love the way they gave new twists to historical incidents e.g. how the Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated under the very noses of the proto-Kingsman team and how about a young Adolf H. being introduced in the mid-credit scene? As a war-movie enthusiast it was also exciting to see the war of the trenches being played out via the protagonists, although I do not certainly condone any acts of war myself. Ultimately, The King's Man is an origin story or prequel if you must, for the first two movies and there were many callbacks to the familiar elements you've already seen in the Colon Firth-led films.

.
.
And I didn't realize that Laurence Fishburne was in M.A.S.H. and listed as Larry Fishburne until yesterday. I must've watched endless re-runs of the military medical drama series but it took me some time to identify him. The man was a far cry from the Morpheus or the Birdman characters he played in the Matrix and John Wick but you just know it was him.


.
.
Talking about Dr. Strange's Multiverse of Madness, since there are a ton of rumored cameos already including that of a certain Patrick Steward iconic character (although Mr. Fantastic's rumored appearance is my favorite thus far) so why not go a step further and connect the Star Wars universe to the MCU? 

That is most certainly Grogu to the naked eyes!

Thank you Geek Culture for this.

.
.

How about some evil Palpatine plot analogy in the real world? I'm pretty sure this has happened before many a times without us realizing it....

.
.

Great to see many collectors already having picked up their Haslab Razor Crest. The internet is chock-full with so many great toy photography involving the 'Crest but I'm probably going to get mine much much later due to certain circumstances. I'm okay with that, it gives time for other early collectors to discover various issues and grouses with the 'Crest. 

On a separate note, I do sometimes get probing questions like 'How do you afford such a thing?' or 'Did you sell a kidney to get it?' when it comes to these kind of collectibles. Well, for the record I have a system when it comes to collecting high end collectibles and sometimes I do get lucky when a group of friends pool together their resources to get me the stuff I want. Yeah, I have a bunch of friends who instinctively know what to give me for my birthdays and I thank my lucky stars for them. You might want to broadcast your love for everything Star Wars because it pays. Whatever the answer that fancies your curiosity I say.


As usual, those who missed the Haslab preorder period might have to resort to eBay and the likes to get their Razor Crest but expect to pay heaps of moolah for it, just like the secondary market prices for the Khetanna, to which I am still looking for one at a decent price.


.
.

How about that Episode 9 of Season 11 of The Walking Dead? We're now finally down to the last three episodes of the series after a decade or so. My better half had for so long asked me what do I still see in the series....with Rick Grimes and so many regulars not being on it anymore. I can't believe myself when I silently utter out the words 'When is it going to end?' as I watched Episode 9 this morning. It is kind of tiring knowing that we're just a short 2 weeks away from the end and there are no indications that we're ever going to see a re-appearance of Rick or Michonne to properly end the series.

We finally get to see the fear and shock in Negan's eyes as he watched a very disturbed Maggie disposing off the enemies, much too similar to the early days of the Saviors under Negan. Again, I feel that Jeffery Dean Morgan's role is utterly underutilized here, especially in the final episodes of the finale season. We may see a surprise outcome for Negan so I'm going to hold my breath for that one.

On the other hand, AMC has now 2 more episodes to explore the Commonwealth's role in the rebuilding of a collapsed society although we did see a fast-forwarded scene, i.e. 6 months into the future, where Daryl himself is already a stormtrooper for the Commonwealth, much to the dismay of Maggie who apparently still heads Hilltop at that particular point of time.

Whatever it is, let's hope that the remaining two episodes can satisfy our thirst for a quality end to a much beloved long-running zombie TV series.

.
.

Before I end this, I just want to say that John William's return to score the Kenobi series is a very welcome news indeed. We have not heard any of the man's musical scores since The Rise of Skywalker, so this will stir up many nostalgia feelings amongst us longtime Star Wars enthusiasts.

Comments