Mattel's 6" Egon Spengler (SDCC '09 exclusive!).....

In truth, I had this action-figure for quite some time now. It's just that I didn't have the time to do a review on it. A request made by one of my blogger buddies prompted me to do this. Well, the pictures were lifted from my flickr page anyway.....so all I had to do was just blabber some thoughts on the figure...heheh....
First of all, let me start by saying that my previous rant is now rendered irrelevant as I finally succeeded in getting the SDCC '09 exclusive figure Egon Spengler in the secondary market (where else but 'FleaBay'! Heheh....). Getting the figure for a mere USD10 extra (PLUS shipping mind you!) wasn't too bad at all. Heck, I was surprised that I managed to score this at a relatively lower price than the rest of the 'online extortion' that is currently on the rampage. Although I strongly believe that it's partly due to a 'slightly bent' corner of at the lower part of backing card. Not a big issue to me...as long as the Egon and Slimer figures reaches my mailbox in one piece I'll be a happy man! And thank God they did!
Just take a look at eBay and you'll see what I mean. Prices soar up to double the original price.....and that's WITHOUT shipping folks! It'll hurt more for us collectors in Asia, having to fork ludicrous amounts just to pay for the supposedly 'expensive' USPS charges.....aka bowing down to these scalpers' demands! There were rumours that Mattel's gonna release a 'normal' version of the 6" Egon figure sans the 'slimed-effect on his uniform'. But most collectors wouldn't want to take the risks, given the fact that most exclusive action-figures sold on http://www.mattycollector.com/ sold out within hours....and these can't be found anywhere else, especially in retail stores!
There're also gonna be the 12" versions of the boys, but I don't think I'm keen on getting those. I covered the preview of those in one of my earlier post on SDCC '09.

The excellent packaging, which allows us collectors to open the cover without damaging the card, superb! Here we can see that Egon comes with Slimer.....


Back of the card

Some cool bio on Egon (check out his hobby of collecting 'spores, mould and fungus'!)



Nice touch by Mattel to include the Ghostbusters logo on top of the packaging

That classic tagline....'Who ya gonna call?'...




Here's Egon freshly out of the box, posing with Slimer amidst some of my existing action-figures...The Harold Ramis-likeness is spot on!



In action!


Slimer looks good too! He's supposed to be a variant figure as the 'proper' version aka the non-transluscent version is planned for a release sometime next year. But I'm pretty much happy with this one already....



This Egon is touted as the 'Slimed' version....which explains why his uniform has ecto smudges all over. Not sure when Mattel's gonna release a 'clean version'. Personally I dig 'battle-weary' action-figures, so definitely this version rules!



The unmistakable Spengler surname on his uniform (pheww, thank God I didn't get it mixed up with Ray or Peter's...!)




The proton pack's pretty well-detailed too! Complete with all the wiring and gizmotrons!


Egon can slide his proton gun back onto his pack when not in use...




I hope that I'll have more luck on my side the next time I try to grab the rest of the 6" Ghostbusters dudes from http://www.mattycollector.com/. These figures are a MUST get for me, being a huge Ghostbusters fan and all!. What excites me is that Mattel's gonna produce the cartoon version of the characters too! Sweet memories of watching "The Real Ghostbusters"...

There is an excellent comprehensive review of this action-figure (sculpt, paint, packaging, articulation etc.) by Michael Crawford. So redirect yourselves there to view his detailed analysis of the figure. I love this action-figure...being a die-hard fan of the movies help too! Two thumbs up!


Comments

darthmental said…
thanks a lot for the review bro. memang terbaik! siap bleh buat aksi simpan blaster kat belakang.. best!

semalam pun aku sempat belek2 gak egon kat amcorp. ada sorang kawan yang juga collector tegar ghostbusters bawak. now get ready for the rest of the gang, hehe. :D