Did ya see that amazing Rogue One trailer?!

Red 5 standing by! #starwars #actionfigurephotography #anewhope #episodeIV #kenner #geekshavethemostfun

Seriously, I can’t possibly be the only fanboy being all giddy about the Rogue One: A Star Wars Story trailer MORE than most of the The Force Awakens trailers combined? “It must be the age factor!” says my wife. Can’t really argue with that fact since most of the fanboys that went all ga-ga were those who actually lived through the time of the original trilogy films (okay so I wasn’t technically around during the premier of A New Hope and too small to go into the cinemas for ESB but I did watch ROTJ on the big screen in ’83 so go figure!).

Maybe it’s the sense of familiarity and nostalgia that endeared me to the fact that we’re gonna see all the classic characters, locations and vehicles once again on the big screen. I froze the moment I saw the AT-ATs, the classic Incom T-65 X-Wings, those mean lookin’ less-than-shiny white Stormtroopers (although the now-canon-ised Shadow/Death Troopers looked pretty bad-a** too), the red Imperial Guards and the possibilities that we’re gonna get to see Darth Vader and Palpatine again etc.…oh man oh man oh man!

How about the theory that Grand Admiral Thrawn’s gonna make an appearance? There is that white-suit with cape dude who stood proudly in his Imperial garb but if memory serves me right, Lucasfilm wasn’t really interested to incorporate many elements from the Expanded Universe into their cinematic films (with the exception of that certain cough-wheezing Separatist General that is!) so there goes our hope of getting Timothy Zahn’s main antagonist from his Thrawn Trilogy books onto the big screen. I personally think it could be Admiral Yularen (re: Clone Wars animated series and that Death Star briefing scene in A New Hope). It’s interesting to see if my feeble theory is correct or otherwise…heh!

Great to see ‘Ip Man’ in Rogue One although I shudder at the fact that his TMNT Donatello-esque style might not see him survive long enough against the might of the Stormtrooper E-11s and DLT-19s blaster/rifle. I am intrigued however at whatever role that Mr Forrest Whitaker might play although I suspect that he’d probably be some dude who plays an important part in getting out Rebellion heroes the vital information or where about of the Death Star plans...any other theories?

Let me make it clear. The Death Star rocks!!!! I love both Death Stars (Starkiller Base ain’t got nothin’ on these two metal moons!). Seeing the Death Star fully operational (ooooh that retractable laser dish-thing that casted a shadow over that passing Star Destroyer!) makes me weak in the knees. I’d buy both Death Star kits in a heartbeat should Bandai produces them in a ‘soccer ball’ scale for my Star Wars shelf (or have they been planning already???).

Anyway…..

To think that they are fans who complained endlessly about how The Force Awakens recycled the plot from A New Hope, it is interesting to see whether these same fans will complain how Rogue One will either be …a) too similar/having some sort of a recycled plot to one of the OT movies ….or b) too different than the OT movies with no real connection to the classic fan base. Personally, I’d say that I probably want the movie to fall somewhere in the middle of those two(2) scenarios. Ya get something familiar yet there are new twists and plots that are good enough to keep you excited throughout the movie. Fair enough?

December can’t come fast enough!!!

Comments