Marvel Legends Giant Man wave 2016

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

Truth be told. I was put off many a times already when it comes to the price of these darn Marvel Legends here in Malaysia. At RM139.90 (that’s about US dollars 35 each folks!) this is an ‘out of this world’ crazy price for ONE figure of Marvel Legends here in these part of the world. Toy companies keep blaming the surge in the price of plastic due to the instability of oil prices but that’s not logically/necessarily true because I have never seen a downward pricing of the action figures even when prices of oil drops like nobody’s business. Yay capitalism!


Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

I’ve only since bought several random ML figures since the great price hike and in the process inadvertently skipped many of the BAFs altogether due to non-completion of waves. Yes folks, I have come to terms that I may never complete another BAF again because I simply couldn’t stomach the price tags of my beloved Marvel Legends anymore. I was already happy to add the figures that I really want for my display ML shelves without a care of completing the BAFs, although I came very close to completing my Ultron BAF wave myself.


Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

So the other day I bought myself the movie Black Panther figure at retail (in fact I found 4 of him that day sitting pretty on the retail peg in a row) and resigned to the fact that I’d never get that sweet-lookin’ Giant Man BAF for my collection simply because I wasn’t ready to pay heaps of money just to get the rest of the figures in the wave, especially for some random/obscure dude called “Nuke”(a B-list character who seldom gets panel time in the comics).

A couple of months down the road later, something happened. I was able to procure the rest of the characters off the Giant Man wave or the “Marvel Legends Civil War” wave at only RM60 (or US dollars 15) each! Seemed that a bunch of un-sold stocks were conveniently secretly kept somewhere when Hasbro Malaysia decided to clear them off to make way for more new stuff coming their way. So, with Hasbro selling below retail price and the chance to finally complete that Giant Man BAF? Nope, not complaining a bit. Sold!

Now let us look into each of the action figures before we assemble Gigantor….err Giant Man at the very end of this review post:



Nick Fury


Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

I missed out on the Toybiz ML Nick Fury many years ago during my student days, not because I couldn’t find him but because I was so confident at the time that nobody would eventually pick him up from the TRU shelf I was visiting, so I made a decision to come back in a couple of days to get him. Big mistake. I missed out both Nick and Silver Surfer (really wanted that Howard the Duck!) because of that amateur deduction of mine so getting this updated Hasbro ML Nick Fury was something I really look forward to from the wave.


Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

The inclusion of two extra headsculpts i.e. one belongs to the satirical/parody character Dirk Anger (Fury/Anger….get it?) and the other is a generic SHIELD agent helmeted head. Both are excellent alternate heads but I can’t see myself or many collectors buying more of the figure just to army build. Just not here in Malaysia at least, because of the ludicrous price point. Anyway, it’s finally great to see a classic Nick Fury being reproduced for the ML line after being content with the Samuel L Jackson versions for quite some time.


Civil War Captain America


Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

It’s funny how the same mould was carried over from one of the previous wave (I think it was from the Age of Ultron wave with that BAF Thanos) but Hasbro didn’t include the alternate Steve Rogers head this time around. Not much of a problem for me as I already have the Chris Evans alternate head from the Winter Soldier wave many years ago. But for those who want an unmasked Cap head, the only way to do so right now is to get the Walmart 3-pack action figure set (you’d also get a Tony Stark un-helmeted head and that new Tom Holland Spiderman action figure).


Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

Personally, getting yet ‘another’ Captain America was just ‘meh’ to me because I have multiple versions of him already on my display shelf next to my army of Iron Men and Wolverines. For the record, I still prefer Cap in his blue SHIELD uniform from the Captain America: Winter Soldier movie the best.


Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

While I am glad that I finally have an updated movie Captain America figure for my display shelf, I still prefer to get new un-produced characters that still haven’t been made in ML form. This figure is necessary though if you want to assemble the movie line-up.



Civil War Iron Man (Mark 46)


Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

Biggest disappointment for me here is that I didn’t get the unmasked Tony Stark head with the figure. Seriously I could go without another Iron Man but I was actually looking forward to get the Tony Stark head for some simple custom ‘Tony in suit’ figure. I prayed hard that the rumors that Mark 46 was not to come with an alternate head weren’t true. But I needed the BAF part to complete Giant Man. So hey…


Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

The Mark 46 armor reminds me a bit of the Bleeding Edge armor created by Matt Fraction not long ago. I think as long as an Iron Man suit has both red and gold elements to it, it’ll sit well with fans. What I do like about this Iron Man figure it its bulkiness. I always try to think that an actual human being needs to fit inside that suit so technically it has to be a bit bulkier to accommodate him/her.


Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

Just like Captain America, this is yet another entry into my long list of Iron Men that I have on my display shelf. Great addition to your diorama of the hall of armor though.

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016



Civil War Black Panther


Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

T’challa finally gets a headsculpt and this fact alone makes him a must get for me. This is my 3rd ML Black Panther in my collection but I safely say that he is the best so far. Toybiz gave us the classic version while Hasbro earlier gave us an updated Black Panther somewhere in 2012/13. Black Panther was the fan-favorite character from the Civil War movie so it wasn’t actually a surprise to him disappearing from retail shelves the moment they were stacked by your local TRU/retail store assistant.

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

I love the design on his suit. One would think that Marvel Studios could only go so far with the simplistic black design but they went and decorated it with the silver-ish deco and stuff, which was translated well by Hasbro onto this figure.


Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

Some collectors were heavily criticizing the unmasked head sculpt but I’m just glad we finally got one for T’challa with his 3rd six inch scale figure. This is definitely one of my favorite figure off the wave.


Marvel’s Nuke

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

Ok I have a confession here. I know nuts about this character except for the fact that he was part of the ‘Weapon Plus’ program which included the likes of Wolverine and some other good guys. Somehow or rather he went to the dark side and became one of Wolverine/Captain America’s baddie. It’s always good however to get lesser known characters in your ML line-up especially if he or she comes with tonnes of accessories.

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

First of all, this Arnie look-alike dude is a large action figure and I’m not talking about your standard Spidey buck type of body. He can rival the sheer size of Cable from the previous X-Men 2016 wave. I love bulky action figures. That much of plastic makes you feel that you’re getting your full money’s worth.

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

Nuke comes with a red-blue-white rifle gun which coincides with the colors of the American flag on his face. He also gets a giant Rambo-like serrated knife which can be placed in a sheath at the back of his vest. I’m not done yet…..he also comes with a cool alternate ‘damaged’ head which shows his cybernetic parts inside…..*cough* Terminator rip-off? *cough*. Oh wait, did I tell you that you need this figure to get the most important part for your Giant Man BAF aka his torso? Now how about that? A figure that no one really cares about due to his lack of appearance in the comics…..but has so many cool factors that comes with it?

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

This is to be the most under-rated figure off the wave.


Red Guardian

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

Now this is to me, simply a response by the Russians to Captain America. Not long ago, when I used to collect Marvel Universe action figures, I took a liking to the Red 3.75” scale Guardian action figure and displayed him next to my Captain America and Captain Britain.

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

The figure has a very nice paint job and he is not simply painted red as he has some nice shading of red and darker red on his chest and torso. He also comes with his trademark Soviet shield and can be placed on the character’s back just like Cap’s. Surprisingly, despite his simplicity in design, I read somewhere that from the wave, this is one of the best-selling figures through on-line stores in the States and even the likes of Amazon listed him as one of the fast-moving Marvel Legends in recent times.

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

This guy adds color to my display shelf and I suddenly regret not picking up the new Captain Britain from the Abomination wave a couple of months ago at a retail outlet to go with him.


And finally….the Giant Man BAF

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016


I really really wanted the Toybiz Giant Man BAF so much that I tried to purchase the individual action figures to get the pieces that I need to build him to no success. When I heard that we’re getting a new Giant Man (although the movie version) I was ecstatic!
And here he is!

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

I love Paul Rudd’s take on Scott Lang and he did a wonderful job of portraying Ant-Man/Giant-Man in the Civil War movie.

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

My only qualm is that I would have loved to see an alternate head for Giant-Man or perhaps a feature that allows us to alternately display him with his helmet half-open.

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

While still smaller than the BAFs of yore aka Toybiz era, he is still technically ‘one of the’ or even THE biggest/tallest BAF we’ve seen thus far from Hasbro’s modern ML line-up. They can only get bigger from now onwards, right? A bit of wishful thinking from yours truly.

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016
Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016



The Rebel’s verdict?

Marvel Legends - Giant Man wave 2016

This is one of the must-have ML wave for me simply because I get to realize a long time dream of getting Nick Fury and Giant Man into my display shelf. You should get this wave too if you’re keen on assembling a movie Civil War line up. Now the challenge for me is to find a movie Scarlet Witch since I seem to have almost everybody else…..and perhaps a Tom Holland Spidey too when he’s available on his own in one of the future ML waves.


Nuff said.

Comments