A closer look: The Simpsons LEGO minifigures...

The Simpsons LEGO minifigures

So finally these cool LEGO Simpsons minifigures are starting to pop up almost everywhere here in Malaysia....and I mean EVERYWHERE. Previously they were only available through a 'large' toy store in town (no, it wasn't TRU for the record!) but now they seem to appear everywhere toys are sold, which is a good sign really. Bye-bye 'scal-pors'! That's a huge boost for ordinary collectors like you and me who're only interested to get these for our display shelves as opposed to making huge profits off eVilbay. For the record, there was supposedly a way for you to specifically identify which character is inside the blind bag you hold in your hand i.e. the 'bump codes' that appear at the bottom part of the back part of the packaging. My wife and I went through the more traditional way of finding every each of the character so we actually went home with sore fingers but it was all worth it!

Anyway let's briefly look through the 16 minifigures that make up the whole of Series 1(?).

The Simpsons LEGO minifigures

I think this is the first time LEGO came up with head sculpts that do not resemble your normal LEGO-esque head sculpts. From the neck downwards these are your normal LEGO minifigures but the head sculpts are the real winner here. I love how uncanny the head sculpts turned out and how they remain faithful to the characters as they appeared on-screen. Like I said before in my earlier posts, I'm glad that LEGO gave us the complete Simpsons family line-up in this inaugural series/wave. If this turned out to be the ONLY wave from the Simpsons line-up, then rest assured that we can already complete our beloved family in one fell swoop. Here we have Abe, Lisa and my personal favourite, Homer...each comes with their respective accessory. I love it that Abe's newspaper even had a shout out to himself!

The Simpsons LEGO minifigures

Next, there's Marge, Bart (another absolute must-have for everyone!) and Maggie. I don't know about you guys but we had difficulties in finding dear Maggie. Seemed that she was quite a favourite with scalpers at the time thus we had to coax the store assistant to open a second case/box in order to complete our core Simpsons family line-up. Anyway, it's kind of funny to see that Marge came with a box full of donuts...I'm guessing that this is her treat for Homer.

The Simpsons LEGO minifigures

The Simpsons wouldn't be complete without the rest of Springfield's denizens. Here you can see Mr Burns, Apu and Krusty the Clown. Truthfully, there are simply too many of them to choose from to be included here.Considering that there were only 10 slots left from the total number of 16 (our beloved family already took up 6) I was quite happy with the choices of characters here. My only grouse is that there is no Moe or Barney. Hopefully LEGO will come around to do Series 2 and get to the rest of the characters.

The Simpsons LEGO minifigures

I love Ned Flanders. Make no mistake about that...LOL. Chief Wiggum deserves a bigger body since he's technically bigger than anyone else in Springfield! Nelson on the other hand, being a kid, has non-moveable legs but that's fine in my books. These guys just need to stand pretty on my display shelf!

The Simpsons LEGO minifigures

To round off the series, we'd also get Ralph and Millhouse and the loveable violent duo, Itchy and Scratchy. Not bad of a line-up but if you ask me, there need to be a series/wave 2! There are simply many more characters that deserve to be immortalised in LEGO form.

Comments

desmond said…
Bro, did you buy the Simpsons Lego Set with house?
The Rebel said…
Des...not yet bro....still contemplating (and counting whatever I have left in my piggy bank...hahah)