HBO's Watchmen 2019 Official Trailer


The new Watchmen HBO TV series' official trailer just dropped and it has spawned dozens of questions from the geekdom. First of all, its creator, Alan Moore, wants no part nor endorse the new HBO TV series just as he was with Zack Snyder's 2009 film. It's easy to see why he wants to distance himself from the series and the film because according to the man, they seem to deviate a lot from his original source material but many would say that's the whole point of adaptation movies/TV series. It will be boring if there are no deviations whatsoever from the source material. Case in point, the ending to Zack Snyder's Watchmen film. 

For the record, I don't want to watch a comic book movie just because I totally dig the comic book. Apart from the obvious special effects and overwhelming CGIs, there's gotta be something that gives you the feeling that it's gonna be worthwhile. 

Initially I though that we were gonna see those familiar faces from the original graphic novel/movie but I was wrong. The TV series is set years after the movie but from trailer we know that at least Laurie aka The 2nd Silk Spectre's is still around mentoring a new blood. We could also see that Rorschach's death had spawned literally other countless Rorschachs who admittedly can be seen running wild throughout the city, hopefully as vigilantes fighting crime and not the other way around. 

That also means that we don't get to see Doc Manhattan all over again. Or do we?

One more interesting point to note is that this alternate future does not have internet nor smart phones. I'm not sure if that's a good thing but all I can say is that this alternate future is surely less distracting for mankind. I can safely assume that people are relatively nicer to each other because they can now interact more with each other (?). 

Just like the producers of the series who dissed Alan Moore off, I'll probably watch the TV series anyway. I'm gonna reserve my comments until I finish watching every last minute of it. Looks like October is gonna be a busy month, with the new season of AMC's The Walking Dead also coming along nicely for us geeks.

Comments

Marisa said…
I didn't like zacks film, I wish he would have stuck to the original comic book but again we got stuck with his vision and it screwed up the entire series and yes I'll be watching the hbo show its not like I have much of a choice.
Darth Daddy said…
Hahah...I like how you put it...."It's not like I have much of a choice". Let's all pray that the series would at least be decent enough to be watched after the first episode or so.

I totally get your opinion on Zack Snyder. There are more ppl here where I am who are against his films as opposed to those who actually dig his vision.