My Retro Nostalgia: Now this is Metallica!

There was a time when you were cool just by saying you're a Metallica fan. These days you're lucky if no one flinches when you say you dig the band's music. I love classic bands by all means, there's just something about bands which persevere through the test of time. They're really battle-hardened and usually possess qualities that other short-lived bands do not have. Some bands are best left in the 'natural death' column like The Beatles because they just reached their maximum limit at the end of their career.

I digress. Let's back to Metallica.

When I talk about bands which persevered through the test of time, not many can fit the bill because most of them just continue to exist rather than to progress through their music. Sadly, Metallica isn't one of those bands. I loved their music from the moment I first heard their Kill 'Em All album. Speed metal was the very first type of metal that caught my attention and they still do till today. 

Right after Kill 'Em All, I made my way through their Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets album to which both I totally dig as much as Kill 'Em All. I guess you can say that I'm a huge fan of their Cliff Burton days but that didn't stop me from  enjoying their ...And Justice For All album, their first post-Burton album. I wasn't that big of a fan when they released their Black album in '91 but I can't resist the charm of Unforgiven and several songs from the album although they were miles from touching the classics they made in the 80s.

Don't get me started on the whole 'Dave Mustaine was treated unfairly' saga. Dave was instrumental during the formative years of Metallica and co-wrote some songs but Kirk Hammett made the band. It's easy as that. Some may say that I don't know what I'm missing because I don't really fancy Megadeth but let me say that I tried listening to them and put them as equal to the beast that was early Metallica, I really did. 

I couldn't really stand Load, ReLoad and the rest of whatever they made with Rob Trujillo thereafter either. They're just not the Metallica I fell in love with. The albums just didn't scream raw power enough. They made new music and retained some of their early influences but they were never really the band that I wanted to be in anymore.
.
.
.
Let me remember them for what they were. Metallica was the coolest back in the day. Listening to their old stuff always put a smile on my face. It made me forget that they even made records after 1991 (LOL!).

Now just sit back and enjoy the awesomeness of Metallica's early music (as they should have been immortally remembered by, always) through these videos, best enjoyed live!
.
.
.
Seek and Destroy






The Four Horsemen






Jump in the Fire




Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)




Hit The Lights





For Whom The Bell Tolls





Creeping Death




Fight Fire with Fire




Master of Puppets




Battery




Blackened




Harvester of Sorrow




Eye of the Beholder




Comments