The Mandalorian Episode 6 afterthoughts


What more can I say about the latest Mando episode when everybody's been praising it for being much cooler than 'certain' Star Wars films already. I don't know about that really because I won't go as far as saying an episode can be much better than a whole complete film but I do say that Episode 6 did provide that sense of nostalgia better than that particular Star Wars film that had been dividing the fan base recently.

On a separate note, JJ Abrams in his recent interview had said he had nothing but praises for Rian Johnson for his work on TLJ but he's going to take another direction in the upcoming Rise of Skywalker film. Abrams also said that HOPES that people will argue with the work he's put into the upcoming film because different opinions signal a healthy culture among the fanbase.

So, different opinion is healthy for thy minds it seems.

With that out of my system, let's get back to Episode 6 of The Mandalorian.

The latest episode saw our favorite Mando visiting an old acquaintance on a not-so deserted spaceport and he quickly found himself getting a job. Afterwards he met some familiar faces and I can only guess that Mando had worked with some of these guys before and left on a sour note.

When they left on the Razor Crest I immediately wondered how long would it take until they finally discovered baby Yoda on board. As predicted, our Mando was being pretty protective over the Child and luckily nothing bad happened (yet) at that point of time or else it might have been a really really short episode.

The prison rescue scene got really interesting for me when a Rebel Alliance (or The New Republic as they're known as currently in this timeline) crew member, complete with the iconic Rebel helmet made an appearance in the control room of the floating prison. This Rebel dude is played by Matt Lanter, the guy who voiced Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars animated series and Wyatt from the Timeless TV series.
Our Mando tried to protect the guy from being eliminated by the rest of his rescue crew but failed when Twi'lek gal used her space knife to kill the guy. So our Mando wasn't really interested to kill anyone but rather to complete his mission. Very un-Mandalorian like should I say?

Of course after our Mando disposed off his turncoat buddies, the real nostalgia factor kicked in when we get to see three X-Wings making their way to the floating spaceport with the intention to destroy it as per the homing beacon planted by our Mando. I didn't realize at first that one of the X-Wing pilot was in fact Dave Filoni, a Disney/Lucasfilm staunch figure behind many Star Wars hits such as Clone Wars and Rebels.

Once again, I felt that the episode was rather short in length but maybe it's just me expecting a much longer run time week in week out. I may be biased this week but I loved the episode because it had X-Wings! Sue me!

The weird thing is, Disney had initially arranged for us to watch Episode 7 just before The Rise of Skywalker comes out on the big screen because the word is that there are gonna be clues about the new film in Episode 7 and later Episode 8, but it looks like I'm gonna watch TROS first (tomorrow!) before I get to see the episode. Let's see if things do make sense for me as much as those who get to watch Episode 7 first.

Comments