Thanks Kobe


So devastated with the news about Kobe Bryant's demise yesterday in that unfortunate helicopter accident. I just couldn't bear to read about how his daughter was also in the crash and that they circled in the air for about 15 minutes before the accident.

But I'm not here to talk about the accident. I just wanna tell everyone what an inspiration Kobe was to me when I was playing basketball for my university team back in the day.

I used to marvel the combination between MJ and Scottie Pippen when they literally dominated the NBA during the early 90s and it really seemed that no one could really break their dominance back then. Then in 1996 came along a rookie who signed for the LA Lakers and stayed there for the rest of his career. His rise to the top was phenomenal and to us amateur basketballers he was nothing short of a hero.

The Kobe-Shaq combination was lethal as heck and together they won numerous NBA titles for the Lakers. I was more of a Celtics fan when I started to seriously watch the NBA back in the late 80s and The Lakers was definitely a team every Celtics fan love to hate and hate to love. Even back then I use to idolize the great Magic Johnson every single time he lead his team against the might of Celtics great like Larry Bird, Robert Parish and Kevin McHale. So Kobe Bryant was literally my 'Magic Johnson' during my time of support for the Phoenix Suns and Dallas Mavericks.

Kobe is really a player every non-LA Lakers fan love to hate (have I told you that already?). He is fast, skillful and has every insights that a great basketball player should possess. And not forgetting those memorable moments from the '97 Slam Dunk Contest. Yup, you've guessed it. Kobe was the Slam Dunk champion of 1997.

Rest in peace Kobe.

Comments